Friday, November 21, 2008

Our special vistor!

My dad came from Oregon to spend Thanksgiving with us and the kids are soooo excited. I don't know when it started but for as long as I can remember, my dad has made "spam" for us. It's not just spam though, he puts a Mexican twist on it with jalapenos, onions and a tomato sauce then he fries some potatoes up and serves it with flour tortillas. Anyways, it has become his signature thing and anytime my sisters or I visit him, that is the first dish he will make us. It has now passed down to the next generation and Alex couldn't wait for grandpa to get here so we could have spam! For that reason we have decided to call him "spampa"
Here is is Bizzy trying to peel potatoes and learn how spampa does it.
Andrea wanted in on the action too so she got her own peeler and got right to work.
My dad and I make a great team in the kitchen.....he still wouldn't share the secret with me though!
He is an amazing cook. I tried to get him to use my chopper to speed things up a bit but he is a firm believer in makeing all the cuts by hand. Maybe that's the secret.....

5 comments:

Yea said...

That is so much fun that your dad is hear. My dad LOVES spam. He likes to eat it fried but no matter what he does to it none of us kids will touch it. While I was on my mission I got to visit the Spam Museum, that was pretty interesting. I brought my dad back a Spam shirt.

jessica said...

What a nice dad...you and your kids are lucky.

Stevi said...

Fun! I am excited for you! Being with family is the best. I hope he passes you "the secret" someday. :) If I don't see you....Have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Jean McKendrick said...

Have fun with dad! Looks like you guys are already making the most of time. Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

How fun to have your Dad come visit. I love Spam! By the Way you have to read the books!!! I haven't met anyone who didn't like them. They are quick reading and I would recommend reading the first one before you see the movie. I do have them, but all are lent out at the moment except the third.

For my kids

 So I recently showed my kids the blog and they LOVED it! We have looked at all the posts several times and had some good laughs. I decided ...