Monday, October 13, 2008

CLOTHES LINE PROJECT

October is domestic violence awareness month so the Womens Center does the clothes line project.
They hang shirts up that were designed by people who have been affected by domestic violence or sexual assault.
This year we had more than 250 shirts to hang. Each of these shirts were designed by someone locally. This project is one that I am very passionate about. November 4 will mark the three year anniversary that I packed whatever I could fit into a suitecase and my children who were 2, 3 and 7 boarded a plane and left our abuser. I was so emotionally and physically empty, I felt lost. I was so unsure of everything. The only thing that I knew at that point was that we needed to leave him. I had attempted to leave him several times before but each time, returned. I felt trapped and helpless. He had very succesfull isolated me from friends and family who loved me and I felt as is I had no life lines with in reach. Each day just getting out of bed was almost all that I could do. I walked around in a fog for several months after leaving him trying to help myself and my children work through the trauma and changes we were facing. I fortunate and found the help I needed at CAPSA, our local shelter and found the strength I needed to move forward. I am grateful for the people who conitnued to love me when I was in a very dark and lonely place. My dad who took me to the airport and my aunt who gave me and my babies a place to stay and a God who gave me strength when I had none. Almost 3 years later, I am a junior in college and I have three HAPPY children and a safe home. I know that there is hope and happiness.......I found it!

8 comments:

dodell said...

Thanks for the thanks but you did it yourself! You are the bravest woman I know and I love you!

Nicole Norris said...

Your story is amazing. I have so much respect for you! You have such a great attitude and and it takes a phenomenal person to change their life. You are an amazing example to me and I am lucky to know you!!!

Yea said...

Your story is a great one to share. Thanks for all your help when I need some advise on how to help those I love in similar situations.

Wright Family said...

Thanks for that story! It touches my heart and makes me so happy for where you are now! I am so happy to haven gotten to know you guys and don't know what I would have done without Biz and Andrea at CH and Alex and his wonderful personality:) You're the best!

Jean McKendrick said...

You learned how to do something fancy with your comments!
That's a neat project you are involved with, good work!
I too am glad you are happy and the kids are doing well!

Jean McKendrick said...

Your comments were showing up differently yesterday than today. I got on some other blogs and they were doing the same thing as yours. It would actually show the people's comments so you didn't have to click on comments and put their name beside it. Weird.

Niki said...

I have known you for how long now and I still did not KNOW you. I really enjoy the work that I am doing. I love helping people and getting to know them on a personal level, and I have now gotten to know a little bit about you that I never knew. Good for you! You have always seemed like a very confident and kind person. I feel very sad for you and your children to have to have gone through what you did. BUT you are all great and doing good it seems, that is what it means by someone taking a big leap and changing their lives for the better. You should be a spokes person for the Women's Center and tell your store every chance you get to encourage other woman/men that there is more to life than unhappiness.
:)

Stevi said...

your so amazing and I love your willingness to share your story with others! And your have such a beautiful family I love that picture! Your an amazing beautiful woman inside and out!

For my kids

 So I recently showed my kids the blog and they LOVED it! We have looked at all the posts several times and had some good laughs. I decided ...